Re: [dvd-discuss] dmca international?

I'm not surprised. The lawyer is protecting his client and is likely to
take that interpretation. OTOH, as we have seen over and over again, the
distinction between the medium and the material seems to be a subtle
abstraction that the legal community (save notable exceptions :-) doesn't
quite grasp.

But it also raises some questions regarding the sovereighty of nations.
Look at Dmitri. Assuming Russia were a party to a WIPO type treaty, then
Russia might be required to prosecute him because of the DMCA even though
what he is doing is legal and what Adobe is doing is not....OK turn that
around, should the USA prosecute Adobe because they are providing ebooks
in a illegal format in Russia?  While a WIPO, WTO treaty may provide
general guidelines, there WILL be differences and most nations won't yield
their sovereighty to another nation (usually called appeasement,
annexation, conquered, or defeated).

Tom <tom@lemuria.org>
01/16/02 09:40 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss