(Fwd) Re: [dvd-discuss] Digital Rights Management GedankenExpe

The meaning and interpretation of "limited" was what I was
grappling with (not successfully ) a few months ago with the
question regarding why copyright terms had to be uniform. Limited,
by its definition means finite but to promote progress, at least
some of the items that enter the public domain must be useful,
memorable, or desirable but certainly NOT obsolete. I wrote "at
least some" ...one can't hit home runs everytime at bat. The time
limits for when things seemed to be useful vary considerably. DOS
2.0 vs 486 vs TombRaider vs Patriot Games vs Stratton's E&M. Not
only does one time not fit all but what kind of progress do some of
the things actually do? While some may disagree, entertainment
does not promote progress as much as technical or intellectual
persuits. I suppose that Jack Valenti would argue that as such
entertainment should get the most protection and longest term
("OK Jacky...we spend the most time protecting the least
thing"....WHere's Monty Python when you really need to do the fish
slapping dance!)

 (Here's another trick question. If the items that enter the public
domain after patent or copyright term ARE useless, then the
standards for patenting or copyrighting items are too low and must
be revised upward. OTHERWISE they are not promoting progress
by protecting trivialities.)

I really can't see how a 125yr copyright on an Intel 80286, an
80386,80486, or a Pentium processor promotes progress. (Trick
question...is the Pentium processor with the infamous division bug
copyrighted? OR will Intel let that one slide into the public
domain!). The limited terms for those items seem to be about 10
yrs at MOST (actually I'm thinking of the 80186...it found its way
into some high end disk controllers and communications
equipment) At least some of the the items that enter the public
domain each year must have SOME worth. The situation that the
current term has created is one where anyone could build Charles
Babbage's Calculating engine now for FREE without ROYALTIES!
HURRY HURRY GET YOUR FREE PLANS! On Page THREE (or
is it page 2 in British papers)

I think you've hit the nail on the head...The "limited" and promote
"progress" must be read together. FINITE terms that are so long
that theyCANNOT EVEN POSSIBLY promote progress are NOT
constitutional. FInite terms that are short enough that there may
still be some progress to be promoted when they end are what is
Constitutionally required.

As I read John's reply I got some insight into the working of the
architects of copyright. WHy did they require a POSITIVE act for
renewal for copyright? IF the author doesn't feel the work is worth it
WHY should society? Keep the fees modest so that most can
renew copyrights if desired but if they are not-either the it's
"abandoned intellectual property" or else a gift to the public domain.
Of course maybe the problem is that many now view the public
domain not as a legacy one gives to the world but as a repository of
things people couldn't keep to themselves.

ON the terms.... I can't see ANY copyright material needing 50yrs
of protection but I'd give it to some classes (e.g., literary) but for
integrated circuits? Limited terms does not mean uniform terms.
Promotion of progress should regulate that duration.