Re: [dvd-discuss] Interpreting the Jaszi graph

> <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/openlaw/eldredvashcroft/pubdomain.html>
>
> I'm completely baffled by this graphic.

As I understand it

> o What exactly does the Y axis represent?

The Y axis represents the rate of growth of the public domain
i.e. works entering public domain each year
i.e. dPD/dt

> o What is the meaning of the purple area?
>   The grey area?  Is this the number of
>   works?  Percentage of works?  Something
>   else?

the grey area is the integrated extrapolation of dPd/dt
assuming original conditions (as at 1790)
the purple area is the same but with the extensions of copyright
accounted for
both are in (relative) number of works

> o Why doess the graph appear linear, when
>   the growth of published works has been
>   exponential?

I think a major assumption has been made but not stated here
(that the rate of creation of new works is linear)

> o Prior to 1978, any work published without
>   proper copyright notice immediately entered
>   the public domain.  How does this fit in
>   to the "zero growth" areas of the graph?

I think another assumption has been made
(that all works are copyrighted)

> o During the "zero growth" periods, 1831,
>   1909, 1962, many works, entered the public
>   domain due to failure to renew copyright.
>   Are those not represented on the chart, or
>   is the number of unrenewed copyrights
>   negligable?  I thought that it was the
>   other way around -- that only a very small
>   percentage of copyrighted works had their
>   copyright renewed.
>
> o Note that with the renewal requirement
>   removed, and automatic copyright protection
>   for all works, we ARE now in a situation
>   of zero growth of the public domain --
>   but this is only since 1976.

Again i think that the author has assumed that all
works are renewed
these two assumptions give a worst case scenario.
which is what the berne convention gave us

> o If the public domain was growing at a large
>   "Y" value in 1831, then drops to zero, why
>   does it start at zero 14 years later when
>   copyright expirations resume, instead of
>   picking up where it left off?

This appears wrong and it should infact start where it
left off after a period of zero growth.

> Does anyone have a better understanding of
> this graph?

maybe, maybe not :-)

 Nature abhors a vacuum. So does my sister's dog.