Re: [dvd-discuss] The power of a click

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 07:15:46PM +0100, Tom wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 07:11:28PM +0100, Tom wrote:
> > get your facts straight, will you? decss.exe as published by 2600 is a
> > windos executable. source code was released later.
>
> I should clarify that: source code to the original decss.exe was never
> released (as far as I'm aware).

Wrong.

When the decss.exe program was originally supposed to be released,  a
mistake occured,  and for a while the _source code_ to program was
available.  This was later replaced with the executable program.

During the window in which the source was available,  a number of people
managed to download a copy.  A copy of said source managed to wing it's
way to me after the executable had replaced the source,  but before the
source was generally available.

I think I've even still got the files around somewhere.  Moldering on a
disused directory of a hard disk.  I'm not sure if I've still got the
original archive file they came in.

DF