Re: [dvd-discuss] The power of a click

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 01:21:22PM -0600, Eric Seppanen wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 07:15:46PM +0100, Tom wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 07:11:28PM +0100, Tom wrote:
> > > get your facts straight, will you? decss.exe as published by 2600 is a
> > > windos executable. source code was released later.
> >
> > I should clarify that: source code to the original decss.exe was never
> > released (as far as I'm aware). other implementations of DVD
> > decryption, usually based on different methods (e.g. not using the Xing
> > player key, some using different crypto approaches, etc) were later
> > released, some of them in source form.
>
> There was source code released for DeCSS.

A further tidbit: the source code I have has the following line (in
"css/CSSscramble.cpp":

unsigned char im2[6]={0x51,0x67,0x67,0xc5,0xe0,0x00};

That's the Xing key, I believe, though I have no authoritative way of
proving whether it is or not.

In any case, this code does not use "different methods" of acquiring
title/disc keys or decrypting data.  It would appear to be the source
code to the original DeCSS or to some equivalent later version.