Re: [dvd-discuss] The power of a click

mickey wrote:

> How does one measure the effort required to click a mouse? In the past,
> it was a neat thing when machines could do work "at the push of a
> button." Today, the click is seen as an effortless way to initiate a
> series of instructrions in a list. But the thing I am having trouble
> figuring out is this:
>
> How can a click be an effortless and mindless action, as in starting a
> circumvention program, while also being used to verify that one has
> applied careful consideration to a(n) EULA?

OH BRAVO!  (a) Either a click is a human action needed to have the
computer conform to the will of the user -- or (b) it is a mindless
operation to perform the envitable will of the functionality of the
software.

With (a) -- DeCSS has no "functionality" (in the meaning of the court)
as it is the action of the user that circumvents

With (b) -- the EULA's mean nothing and their is no restriction on
reverse engineering of the  CSS code (or cracking the licensed player to
have desired functionality)

I love it.

.002
"Pick *one* personality, please!"