Re: [dvd-discuss] Re: The Grounds for Appeal

You may be close to the mark. I haven't finished the opinion either
but one thing I noted was that they start off by discussing the fact
that the governemnt must have a compelling interest yet don't state
what that was. Maybe it's so obvious that it doesn't need to be but
maybe they should tell us what that is for those of us intellectually
challanged <sarcasm>. In the sort of formal argumentation these
people perform, it should be stated for completeness least the
reader substitute their own but it also invalidates all the subsequent
argument - what's the point of continuing if the fundamental
requriments aren't met.

Johansen owned the DVD.
Johansen was authorized to PLAY it (it = DVD)
The notion that one can be authorized to play a DVD only upon a
licensed player was shot to hell in 1917...too bad the courts
can't apply some elementary logic from
 a sophomore level philosophy class.

I suspect the unstated assumptions regard the sanctity of
intellectual property and the belief that they must preserve it at all
costs....I wrote this earlier but I'll retype it now...I can't think of
anyone willing to die to preserve intellectual property rights but I
history is fulll of people who died for freedom of speech.