Re: [dvd-discuss] Must Copyright terms be uniform?

When battles come down to $350/hr suits battling it out in front of a
judge, this is a failure of our courts and legal system rather than
copyright per se. There is NO legal reason why a judge should have issued
a preliminary injunction stopping publication in the TWGD case. Having to
overturn a preliminary injunction is wasting public resources (the courts
and judges and now back to a trial) and public time (delayed publication).
The lower court should have stated quite clearly at the beginning that
unless the plaintiffs had something more than economic interests, no
injunction would be issued. While the appellate opinion is great reading,
it should never have even been needed. I realize IANAL but the sparring
and thrust and parry of this sort of legal battle may be intellectually
satisfying but reminds me of the line from LaCarre's "Tinker Tailer..." -
"I'm sure each of us has experienced innumerable technical satisfactions
in this wretched cold war..."...so I'm not convinced that fixing copyright
will eliminate all of these problems...some of it rests with the courts.

You made a comment "longer that the expected lifespan of the original work" below. I assume you mean the media it is published on.

"John Zulauf" <johnzu@ia.nsc.com>
11/13/01 08:51 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss