RE: [dvd-discuss] Would this consistute circumvention.

You could make the same complaint about the
"us a gun, go to jail" laws.  Those impose
harsher penalties when a gun is used in the
commission of a crime than the crime alone
would incur.  (i.e. if you hold up the 7-11
with a knife you aren't in for as much time
as you would be if you use a gun).

Likewise, if you have to bypass a digital TPM
to commit your infringement you could be
liable for harsher penalties than infringement
alone would incur.

You might be able to argue whether or not digital
deserves additional protection of this nature,
but it is not entirely redundant.

186,000 mi./sec ... not just a good idea, it's the LAW!