Re: [dvd-discuss] Must Copyright terms be uniform?

(didn't finish a sentence... see below

> Whatever we demand as the public's
> side of the copyright bargain, one cannot

should complete with the phrase:

accept a payment of little value as sufficient for the suppression of
speech, as the courts have always maintained that only a compelling
gov't interest of "the highest order" is required.

Hmmmm, is that an arguement against the long copyright term.  As
suppressing of speach requires a "highest order" interest -- enabling an
outdated irrelevant public domain (arguing that is only the works in the
public domain that truly served to promote cultural progress as opposed
to mere narrow, private interests) cannot be held to be a "highest
order" interest as it creates a thing of only limited value.