Re: [dvd-discuss] Bunner wins DeCSS trade secret appeal

That's where I think the 1976 Copyright act created an enormous
administrative blunder by not requiring copyright notice be affixed. The
copyright notice is not a protection of the author but an indication when
the work enters the public domain (Date + N years). By eliminating it,
that changes a simple system to a complex and cumbersome one worse than
doing a title search on a piece of REAL property. At least there proper
documents must be lodged with the local authorities and up the governement
chain. This leaves copyright up to the whims of whomever happens to be
holding it.....OK....a question...what is "IT" there. Without a notice or
registration how do I determine the copyright date of anything? How do you
fix a date? Does it come from the first time that Thomas Hardy sat down
and started "A saturday afternoon was approaching the time of twilight..."
<That's off an Monty Python record  or maybe a skit> or the time he wrote
"The End" and put the pen down....or how about rough drafts....Tolkien
spent years working on LOTR and I haven't even bothered buying the earlier
drafts.

The original intention of copyright it to protect published works. If the
intention is to protect the writings of authors, then another vehicle
should be used. As I posted earlier, the UTSA seems to be a pretty good
one (although there may be some quirks there that I don't appreciate). I
can't think of anything more deserving of trade secret protection than the
manuscript of an author during its creation or upon its completion.

"Peter D. Junger" <junger@samsara.law.cwru.edu>
11/05/01 06:02 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss