Re: [dvd-discuss] Bunner wins DeCSS trade secret appeal

Yes it doesn't make sense to allow Microsoft to claim copyright
infringment when Nobody has seen the source code - only the object code.
To then claim trade secret on other parts and patents on a few bits and
and then claim licensing terms that exclude RE for something bought in the
market Nobody publishes source code yet they get copyright protection.
They claim Trade secret status yet also claim that RE is not allowed by
Shrinkwrap license. They can throw a bogus "software" patent at parts of
it (most of which I've seen flunk even rudimentary examination in full
disclosure) that  are not describing an invention but some nebulous
description of something - method and apparatus to do X when anybody else
can write software also to do X and thats an infringment. The patent is an
attempt to stop people from doing X rather than using an invention that
does X....but that's exactly the situation we have with software today.
SOftware gets little bits and pieced of everything and so gets to ignore
the "disadvantages" of everything.

Noah silva <nsilva@atari-source.com>
11/05/01 09:54 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss