[dvd-discuss] Interesting 1st sale-shrinkwrap-EULA-(c)infringementcase

Jeme A Brelin writes:

> First sale doesn't give you the right to redistribute
> copies... certainly not commercially.

> I don't see how you could violate any of those
> licenses by practicing the
> rights transfered at first sale.

Here's a contrived scenario ...

Generic Products Ltd, a software company, takes
someone else's GPLed work, modifies it,
and prepares to market the product. Generic
knows that distribution of their product will
be constrained by the GPL license of the
underlying work, but they're ok with that.

Generic has 1,000 CDs pressed, boxed, and ready
to market.  The CDs contain object code of the
program, along with a good-faith offer to provide
the source code to the program on request, as
required by the GPL. For the sake of argument,
they even sell a few copies of the object code
CD to the general public, but none of those
customers happen to ask for the source code,
so it is never sent out.

Suddenly, a meteor crashes into Generic's
headquarters, destroying the computer containing
their source code, and killing their entire
staff.  Gulp!

Generic has exactly one remaining asset,
which is sold at auction by court order to pay
Generic's unpaid bills on their gold plated
office furniture and 48" monitors.

That asset is a box of 997 copies, on CD-ROM, of
the pre-compiled, object-code of the GPL
constrained software.  The purchaser of the
box of CD-ROMs, Vulturesoft, decides to sell
the CDs one at a time to the public on a
discount web site.

Can Vulturesoft do that?

On the one hand, Vulturesoft has no way of
complying with the terms of the GPL -- under
the GPL, he must be able and willing to offer
source code on request, yet the source code
no longer exists.

On the other hand, those 1,000 copies he
owns are:

o  Legally made copies
o  of a published work
o  that have been sold