OT: Movie editing... (Was RE: [dvd-discuss] Fair use in the wild...)

Perhaps it's not new, but it disturbs me that we're losing the
integrity of a historical resource.  Not that I recalled or care much
what the police are holding in E.T., but it bothers me that there
may be no record of the movie _I_ saw.  It feels a bit 1984ish;
"The cops don't have shotguns.  They never had shotguns."
Whatever version you saw goes down the memory hole.

To try and bring this back towards topic:  Has the fact that they
retouched a few scenes make this a new work for purposes
of copyright?  Does reset the shot clock?  How much of a change
to a work is required to make it new?

In another vein, I was reading to my son from a Disney songbook.
It had taken what I thought were classic children's songs
(Little bunny foo-foo, B-I-N-G-O, etc.) and Disneyfied the lyrics.
What I thought was interesting was the copyright notice in front
said, "(c) Disney".  No year.  Is that a misprint, a mistake, or
just arrogantly pointing out the status quo?

David Kroll