Re: [dvd-discuss] Re: [DMCA_discuss] Linux kernel securityfixes censored by the DMCA

> Stephen L Johnson wrote:
> >
> > After reading your post, I'm started to get worried about legal liability
> > myself. I administer a lot of *NIX systems including a lot of e-mail servers.
> > It's quite a nightmare possibility.
>
> I would think that whatever authority to access user files as needed for
> administrative purposes (archival backup, virus scanning, whatever) is
> granted by the user in any subscription to a service.  However, it is
> the tools and instructions needed to do our jobs and the ability to
> publish those tools and information that are at risk.
>
> Remember IANAL.
>
> Wendy, Jim... can you allay our friends fears? (or mine?)
>
> .002

I'm not really that worried. I guess 'concerned' would be a better term. I
consider that actual probability to be very small, but it's there none the
less.

I actually work on and develop those very tools that you mentioned. And I'm a
Senior Administrator. I mentor less experienced SA's. Part of the information
I impart to them are the tools and techniques to shore up servers against
intruders. I also teach proper scripting and programming techniques to ensure
safe, secure tools.

All of that knowledge could be considered in a negative way. It could be used
to get access to Copyrighted works on other systems. My teaching and sample
code could be considered trafficking. Disconcerting in light of your analysis
of Alan's actions on the Linux Kernel updates.

Stephen L Johnson <sjohnson@monsters.org>