Re: [dvd-discuss] EFF opposes blacklisting spammers

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 Michael.A.Rolenz@aero.org wrote:

> be forced to use MAPS. But the problem with your statement that "if
> the EFF wants the government to force ISP's not to use MAPS, then this
> also violates free speech (their client's right to select what speech
> is received)." is that when the ISPs use maps their clients (ME) don't

Actually, pointed out this starkly, why shouldn't the gov't make it
illegal for anyone to use secret, non-public blacklists (like MAPS) for
purposes of denying speech, or commercial trade?

  ``It is very important to our legal and civil position that no one ever
    acquire a full copy of the MAPS RBLSM without indemnifying us. Thus,
    we'll need you to sign a lengthy legal document when you subscribe to
    the service''       -- http://mail-abuse.org/rbl/usage.html

Or is it already illegal? IANAL.

If it was public, I wouldn't bitch like this, but to allow a secret
conspiracy like MAPS to go around, with secret blacklists of who's evil
and who isn't.... Sounds like McCarthyism.

(I'm young and naive, so you'll excuse my non-understanding of those
uglier parts of american history.)

Scott