Re: [dvd-discuss] EFF opposes blacklisting spammers

On Friday 19 October 2001 00:29, you wrote:

> the correct way (I don't think RBL works that way, but if you know
> better, please correct me) would be to send a warning/notice to the
> affected people first, give them time enough to fix the problem, and if
> they don't, *then* put them on the list.

The process for getting on MAPS' RBL is so loaded with safeguards
that large parts of the antispam community don't bother submitting
reports to them.  MAPS not only requires that the submitter have
already confirmed that the spam came from the indicated source,
but have notified the source and then followed up with personal
telephone contact with management (not just abuse admins.)

*THEN* MAPS gets into a six-month or longer process of 'education'
where they not only try to convince the source that they should
change policy but also help them technically with details like port
25 blocking and relay closure.

This is tremendously more than a "shot across the bow."  Anyone
who lands in MAPS' RBL is there because they worked at it.

--
| I'm old enough that I don't have to pretend to be grown up.|
+----------- D. C. Sessions <dcs@lumbercartel.com> ----------+