Re: [dvd-discuss] EFF opposes blacklisting spammers

> The EFF is right here just as Stallman is right about the GPL (as opposed
> to the BSD license).

Grr.. have to say as a software author.. .I like BSD better.  GPL isn't
_LEGALLY_ as free, so it's amusing to hear it called "more free" from BSD,
which is LESS LEGALLY restrictive and MORE FREE.  But now, I don't want to
start a thread on that here, it's been played out enough.

I agree that _I_ should be able to block my email.  I agree that ISPs
should be able to block malfunctioning web sites (like Open Relays).  I
don't think they should do it without warning.  I don't think ISPs should
be able to block whoever they want for whatever reason.  I believe the
SENDER's ISP should block him if he is sending large amounts of
unsolicited email.  I am a big supporter (even financially) of EFF, but
the analogy EFF uses in this case (Political speach) doesn't ring true to
me.  I don't want people putting junk mail in my mail box either.  If they
want to gather at the square with a megaphone and shout all day,
fine...  It may be annoying to 95% of the people who avoid the square,
but anyone who wants to can go listen, and it is public property and
doesn't affect me unless I want it to.  If they want to come into my house
and do it? no. I don't think so.  I have the right to refuse an email just
like I have the right to refuse a package.

I do NOT think that:
a.) ISPs should be able to block whatever they want.
b.) ISPs should be forced to join MAPS or RBL.
c.) ANY ISP should block ANY PORT to ANY USERS.

c is particularly important.  ISPs use junk email and virus as an excuse
to limit service.

  -- noah silva