Re: [dvd-discuss] Hang the RIAA in their own noose.

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 03:11:21PM -0400, Noah silva wrote:
> Yes, but how does that realistically apply?  Let's say I own the
> copyright because I wrote it, and I'm protected by default.  Still if I
> post something that I know if going to a public forum, I am implicitly
> giving permission (under my copyright control) for that item to be
> published.  The difference is subtle (no protection rights vs
> having and waiving them.)

missed the point. you can publish without giving up copyright. in fact,
that's what the whole publishing industry is all about.

now by publishing to a newgroup or mailing list, you definitely give
permission to copy within the list, because that's just the way it
works just like publishing in a newspaper means it'll be printed on a
lot of sheets of paper.
unless specified otherwise, you still haven't given permission to, say,
take your posting and publish it somewhere else.

--
-- http://web.lemuria.org