Re: [dvd-discuss] Hang the RIAA in their own noose.

Michael.A.Rolenz@aero.org wrote:

> OK Technically they aren't claiming they have the RIGHT (as in
> constitional amendment) but read the last paragraph below. It says
> effectively if we mess up your computer protecting our sacred intellectual
> property too bad.
>
> Taken from http://www.wartimeliberty.com/article.pl?sid=01/10/14/1756248
>

>                          'No action may be brought under this
>                          subsection arising out of any impairment
>                          of the availability of data, a program, a
>                          system or information, resulting from
>                          measures taken by an owner of
>                          copyright in a work of authorship, or
>                          any person authorized by such owner to
>                          act on its behalf, that are intended to
>                          impede or prevent the infringement of
>                          copyright in such work by wire or
>                          electronic communication; provided that
>                          the use of the work that the owner is
>                          intending to impede or prevent is an
>                          infringing use.'
>
>                          OR
>
>                          'No action may be brought under this
>                          subsection arising out of any impairment
>                          of the availability of data, a program, a
>                          system or information, resulting from
>                          measures taken by an owner of
>                          copyright in a work of authorship, or
>                          any person authorized by such owner to
>                          act on its behalf, that are reasonably
>                          intended to impede or prevent the
>                          unauthorized transmission of such work
>                          by wire or electronic communication of
>                          such transmission would infringe the
>                          rights of the copyright owner.''

Let me put on my devil's advocate hat for a moment..

They are talking about preventing copyright infringement in the
context of wire or electronic communication. That is, jamming
Napster or perhaps exploit a weakness in the election protocol
for supernodes in the Kazaa network in order to force the
supernodes to be run on RIAA-controlled machines.

We're talking interference, jamming, chaffing. Not breaking and
entering into my and your computer.

--
LarsG