Re: [dvd-discuss] Fwd: Bush taps Clarke as CyberdefenseChief

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001 Michael.A.Rolenz@aero.org wrote:

> Steve Gibson has some interesting comments on raw sockets in WindowsXP on
> this website (www.grc.com).

Well no offense.. hmm actually fine, offense intended: Steve gibson has a
lot of "interesting" comments on a lot of things, but obviously doesn't
know much about computers.  He seems to like to impress newbies and the
media though.

> Given some of his recent experiences with DOS
> attacks, I can understand his concerns. There certainly is the potential
> for widespread misuse given the expected distribution of WindowsXP. OTOH,
> I'm getting pretty tired of hearing about nimda, code red1, code red2, etc
> by the talking heads on the tube and NOT hearing them say "OK the internet
> is down today thanks to another "feature" created by microsoft" Everybody
> keeps reporting on the evil wicked hackers without focusing on the real
> culprit-microsoft.

The difference is: RAW sockets are a powerfull tool that could be misused,
while the way microsoft does macros is so easily misused, while protection
there would be so easy.

> Right now everybody is playing catchup and want to be a computer whizz
> just as people did with stereos, cars, and radio decades ago.

;)

 -- noah silva