Re: [dvd-discuss] Fwd: Senate meeting on Oct. 25 about "securing" content

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 05:15:49PM -0700, Larry Blunk wrote:

> >   The Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee is holding
> > a hearing on Oct. 25 to "examine promoting broadband,
> > focusing on securing content and accelerating transition to
> > digital television."  The hearing will be held at 9:30AM in room
> > 253 of the Russell Senate Office Building and will have seating available
> > on a first come, first serve basis.  A list of witnesses has
> > not yet been made available.
> >
> >  The Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee is chaired by
> > Senator Hollings, and includes Senator Stevens in its membership.
> > The two primary backers of the SSSCA bill.
> >

>     It might be nice if we could get people in the DC area to pack
> the hearing room for this.

a) It won't happen. I've seen calls like this for the last 7 years or
so. Never works. Insufficient geek concentration or something.

b) Not sure what effect packing the hearing room would have, unless
you all wore DeCSS tshirts or something.

-Declan