[dvd-discuss] Re: [DMCA_discuss] [Fwd: Bush taps Clarke as CyberdefenseChief]

> On Tuesday 09 October 2001 09:16 am, John Zulauf wrote:
> > The irony of this:
> > > Clarke has been an outspoken proponent of preparing for what experts
> > > have described as an "electronic Pearl Harbor," a debilitating surprise
> > > cyberattack against the nation's critical computer and
> > > telecommunications networks by terrorists.

... <snip of self text>

Ilya Volynets wrote:
> Objection! We are already having that result. Just think of problems
> IIS bugs already caused little while ago. I'm not saing that was terrorist
> attack (though not denying the idea either), but that was pretty characteristic.

Actually, we haven't yet seen the damage a bug like the IIS bug did.
Imagine coupling that bug with some smart search software to dig through
your MS-Money, Quicken, Turbo-tax, Etrade account numbers,  (and the
"Remember this password") and then use that information to contact your
bank, and etrade to liquidate all your resources and wire them to the
Grand Caymans.  Do this to even one out of 10,000 people and the damage
to our economy would be immeasurable.  Add to that snooping around
history and cache files to find everyones guilty-secrets (and email them
to everyone on the address book, the local newspaper, and changing your
background image to something your unsuitable for your children...

oh, yeah -- give it slow onset and delayed action

Objection overruled! We ain't seen nothing yet.