Re: [dvd-discuss] More Copy Protection

> > (of course nevermind I wouldn't want the stream from the MD, and most
> > MD decks don't have digital out).
>
> MD decks USED TO all have digital out.  This really only changed when
> computers got digital inputs and MP3 became popular.
>
> All of my MD equipment has digital output.

but again, I wouldn't normally want to use that digital out, since it
would be pcm-->atrac-->pcm.  (Still, it would be nice to have the choice).

> > Interesting - Why not?  The one I go to in NY is enormously popular.
> > All sorts of visiters and tourists stop in there and use the PCs.
>
> Well, for tourist towns, I can understand it, I guess.  But most towns
> don't have that level of tourist activity.

I wonder what percentage of the people there (in the cafe) are tourists.

> The Sunray is cooler.  I remember the javastation.  They were fascinating,
> but the Sunray, in my opinion, totally perfected the concept.

I still havn't heard of people getting linux working on them though ;(

> Anyway, yeah... MDs are not popular in the US because the RIAA has spent
> two decades trying to convince the public that there's no reason to make
> copies and, after all, it's illegal no matter when, why, or how you do it.

> It's a lie, but many have swallowed it.

I'm not sure I buy that.  If that were the reason, people wouldn't use
portable tape players or mp3 players either.  I think it comes down to
this: Americans are a lot more stingy.  In japan, something cool and new
like md comes out, everyone says "wow, that's cool", and buys it.  Maybe
it is $300, but it is my experience that people there are willing to part
with their bucks to buy the best (or what they think is the best).  Here
mainly only rich people do that.  Your average guy goes to the store and
sees an MD unit, he says "wow, that's cool".  Then he says "how
much?! nevermind", and buys a tape player or CD player instead (depending
on his needs).  Cell phones took a lot longer to catch on here for similar
reasons.  mp3 players are getting cheaper now.  MD players probably won't,
until they have to compete with them.

 -- noah silva