Re: [dvd-discuss] More Copy Protection

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, John Schulien wrote:
> Jeme A Brelin writes:
> > I don't know any manufacturer that celebrates the used market... except
> > for manufacturers of pricey collectibles that are phased out each year,
> > like cars and fine watches.
>
> Heh ... don't forget Beanie Babies.  I wonder how many of those things
> were bought up en masse by speculators hoping to get their hands on
> the few that would eventually be worth big bucks.  It was the
> secondary market that turned them into a craze.
>
> Stamp collectors also create an enormous market for postage stamps.

Both of these are markets like I described: Limited editions no longer
produced by the manufacturer are encouraged in the used market.

I mean, I'm not going to by a current issue stamp from anyone but the
postal service... and I ain't payin' more than $.34 for it (or whatever
first class postage is these days).

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin