Re: [dvd-discuss] The Checks and Ballances are in the mail

Ignore any right to a speedy trial for a moment.  What about
a right to afford a defense?  If someone like the MPAA sued
me, I would have no possiblity of defending myself unless a
lot of sympathic people sent in donations.  It would seem that
justice belongs only to those with the most money.

In a criminal case, I would at leat have the right to a free bargain
basement defence by a public defender who incedently is working
for the same government that would be prosecuting me.  Can you say
conflict of interest?

Back to the civil cases.  A while back I though of a way
to pay for the defense of the little guy.  If really-big-guy
sues little-guy, they really-big-guy must provide X% of the money
they spend on the suit to the defendent for their defense.  The exact
percentage would be dependent on how big the big-guy is and how
little the little-guy is.  This would be done no matter who wins.
This could go a long way toward reducing legal threats and intimidation.

--
Jim Bauer, jfbauer@home.com