RE: [dvd-discuss] Re: Sen. Hollings plans tointroduceDMCAsequel : The SSSCA

Tom,

I had intended to sit out this discussion, but after reading tenor the
last few posts, I felt that there had to be some rebuttals made. From
your past posts, it appears as if you are a German citizen.  While I am
one the first to rale at the faults of my government and its policies,
for you to assume the pretext of the moral high ground is ludicrous.
Your country started the last two world wars; it raised up and cheered
one of the most monstrous leaders in world history.  You live in one of
the more repressive of the republican governments. The people of the
same nation that you are calling "stupid, immature american bullies" are
the ones that died to prevent Hitler from taking over Europe and paid
with their lives for the freedom that you enjoy.

Me, I ascribe to Adam's thought (paraphrased) "Be the friends of liberty
everywhere, the guardians only of our own."  I would like to see
American withdraw from NATO, the UN, and various other international
organizations.  It is not the US Federal government's responsibility to
defend or support other countries.  As you so aptly stated in your other
post, we are "the largest bully" and we can defend ourselves.  We derive
very little benefit from billions of dollars in foreign aid that we send
out every year or from the thousands of foreign students that are
educated in US institutions with their tuition and expenses paid for by
the American people.  It does nothing to foster goodwill - we are still
hated and feared.  Machiavelli's writings that state that is better for
a leader to be feared than admired or loved is a policy I would prefer
to see followed when it comes to the defense of the my country.  The
Israelis and Arab nations have be killing each other over real and
imagined offenses for thousands of years and I don't want the US
involved in it.  The same goes for Pakistan and India.

  One of the Federal government's primary tasks is to defend the US. If
that means declaring war on the countries the support, train, and harbor
the agents provocateurs, that should be done.  I'm not talking about
occupying those countries.   I don't want the US to become another Rome.
I want to live in a republic not an empire.  I'm talking about removing
the infrastructure that allows the support.  If that involves bombing
the country into the economic equivalent of the stone age, then do it.
As you have made clear in your other posts, the American citizens are
responsible for the actions of their government.  I agree, but this is a
two-sided coin.  The people of a terrorist state are responsible for the
actions of their government.