Re: [dvd-discuss] Re: Sen. Hollings plans tointroduceDMCAsequel : The SSSCA

Richard Hartman wrote:

> Some people actually _prefer_ conflict.

well said.  What "reasonable" people often fail to understand is just
how non-universal reasonability is.  It does seem reasonable to us that
people should act out of evil or fanaticism.  One account of how the
Lutheran church essentially did nothing to stop the utter take over of
German society (and eventually even the church -- making all other
church organizations illegal) was full of reasonable churchmen
downplaying the "Storm Crow" warnings of Bonhoeffer and others.  They
were sure that the German gov't surely would take the next step along
the path to totalitarianism and the Holocaust -- and then surprised at
every step.

As for the cause of these atrocities -- it is pure misunderstanding.
Somehow the terrorists think that their targets actually have something
to do with their percieved oppression.  The WTC -- "the black heart of
the great capitalist Satan" is nothing of the sort, but a building full
of functionaries, clerks, accountants, administrative assistants, and
the like.  Losing these buildings (aside from the horrendous loss of
life) won't affect fundamentally the power structure of the West.  The
Pentagon -- "the evil center of the military-industrial Satan" is again
a building of program managers and functionarys.  The important
intelligence assets are elsewhere, and clearing the Pentagon (from our
Cold War past) is by design unnecessary for the successful operation of
the Military.  Sure they might have remove the Joint-Chiefs -- but there
are plenty of Generals and Colenels (sp?) that would love a star and
could do the job just as well.

The attackers also misunderstand that we value our freedom to much yeild
it to those who would bring terror.  They would need to do this sort of
thing once a week for quite some time before our freedoms would be even
temporarily abridge -- and by then they would have to have left enough
of a trail to be identified and obliterated.  Further, while CNN
connects us all -- this is still a gigantic country.  While we mourn the
thousands lost the vast majority of us (especially in the heartland)
know that no terror will touch our small towns -- there is nothing high
profile enough to attack.

Finally the attackers don't comprehend our politics.  If they think that
the US gov't. will as a result of this action crack-down on the
Israeli's use of military force and Palestinians
the couldn't be more wrong.  Private channels have probably already
given the Mossad and the IDF a renewed "hunting license."

If they understood these things they would never have attacked --
assuming they we're reasonable.  As they clear weren't reasonable -- I'm
sure they were untroubled by the facts -- and died believing their evil
was good.

.002