Re: [dvd-discuss] Going on the offense.

In article <20010911020642.95230.qmail@web13901.mail.yahoo.com> you write:

>--- Jeme A Brelin <jeme@brelin.net> wrote:
>
>> Oregon has a very liberal "ballot initiative" system.  Voter's can submit
>> a referendum after collecting a designated number of signatures of
>> registered voters in the state.  Such iniatives bypass the legislature and
>> can even amend the State Constitution.
>
>Go for it!!
>
>> The problem here is that the EFF tends to lean toward the Libertarian
>> angle.  There is a general failure to recognize that corporate power is as
>> oppressive as state power with or without the force of state behind it.
>
>Well, I think a libertarian would say that "corporate power" exists only
>because the government fails to stand up for individual liberty.

The Constitution was written by people who knew there would be
problems if the government was too powerful.  The problem, as I see
it, is that they didn't foresee that corporations could become even
more powerful then any government.  To make matters worse,
corporations are now treated as if they were people.  By granting
Rights to corporations, the government has greatly diminish the Rights
of the people.  We need to reverse course and treat them like the
government agencies they effectively are.

BTW, why is is that all legistators think they need to pass lots of
new laws?  You would think that after 200+ years we would have all the
laws any society could possibly need.  Perhaps their pay should be
inversely proportional to the number of laws they pass?
e.g. basepay-(5000*n), where n is the number of laws passed.  And yes
it could go negative.
--
Jim Bauer, jfbauer@home.com