Re: [dvd-discuss] Re: Sen. Hollings plans to introduce DMCAsequel: The SSSCA

On Monday, September 10, 2001, at 03:06 PM, Robert S. Thau wrote:

> John Zulauf writes:
>
>> WHY HAVE ALL THE TECHNOLOGY COMPANIES JUST SAT ON THEIR RUMPS while
>> their industries future is being sold down the river and why have the
>> collaborators on CPRM HDCP CPSA et. al. been praised for this work.  I
>> know this is the prisoner dilemma, but nobody seems to even be bringing
>> these issues up.
>
> Ummm... the tech companies aren't sitting on their rumps; they *are*
> the collaborators in CPRM, HDCP, etc.  For instance, the CPRM spec at
>
>   http://www.4centity.com/tech/cprm/
>
> was cowritten by IBM, Intel, Matsushita and Toshiba.  (For those
> keeping score, that's the same IBM that was paying people to deface
> sidewalks with "Peace, Love, Linux" graffiti).

I've been reading the kernel-traffic digests for some time now. There
have been many complaints about IBM not releasing needed documentation
for some part of the S/390 port. Some divisions of IBM are truly
interested in Linux--others (the cash register divisions seem to be oft
mentioned) are more interested in keeping specs proprietary. Don't
expect philosophical consistency from IBM. (The most consistently "evil"
corporation that list is, IMHO, Matsushita (Panasonic, Technics, etc)

Jeremy