Re: [dvd-discuss] Text of draft Security Systems Standards and Certification Act

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 11:35:47PM -0400, jerwin@gmu.edu wrote:
> >    Text of Security Systems Standards and Certification Act
> Also known as the closed source subsidation act of 2001...
> My reasoning: with low level (kernel...) access, it is possible to
> extract the "plaintext" of any copyrighted media, thus turning a
> general purpose PC into a piracy machine... (and violating section 102)
> of the act).

I don't think that's the most threatening provision of the act.

Sec. 102 (http://www.politechbot.com/docs/hollings.090701.html) only
applies to "interactive computer service[s]", which doesn't seem to
cover standard, even networked, PCs, at least by the most
straightforward reading.

What you should be worried about is Sec. 101, which definitely does
cover PCs.

> Should they not implement the features demanded in the bill, that would
> put Linux in violation of section 101, as new versions of the kernel
> will almost certainly not be "grandfathered in."

Ah, yes. Just saw this. Agreed. "Interactive digital device" covers
software, including Linux.

> You have two choices: rebut my logic and assuage unfounded fears, or
> propagate this onto slashdot, and stoke the flames of rebellion.

Somehow, I suspect it's already made its way there.

-Declan