RE: [dvd-discuss] Skylarov indicted for trafficing and conspiracy .

Not exactly, but close. Disclaimer: IANAL, but I do work for a company that
makes websites accessible, and which sells a product that competes with the
mentioned AccMonitor -- so, as with anything else, don't go file a lawsuit
based on what I say. Section 508 is part of the Rehabilitation Act
Amendements of 1998 -- it requires anything that the Federal Gov't buys to
be accessible. It also requires (through the Education Act) anything that a
school purchases, if that school receives federal grant money for certain
things, to be accessible. A number of states have voluntarily placed
themselves under the act, as well. Violation by the gov't (if they buy
something they shouldn't) just costs them attorney's fees. Violation by a
company (if they sell something they shouldn't) can amount to having
defrauded the gov't. This all went into effect for purchases made after June
of this year. For more information on what it means, see
http://www.access-board.gov/

Accessibility includes (among other things) not disabling anything built
into the operating system or other applications that would help
accessibility. For example, as I understand it, if disabling "Read Aloud"
permissions prohibits programs like WindowsEyes from reading a book aloud,
then an ebook that disables those permissions can't be bought or required by
most US schools. Also, if something isn't accessible in and of itself, it
isn't supposed to be bought by the affected organization.